1 cup butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour an 8 x 4 loaf pan.
Beat softened butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and salt. Turn the mixer to slower speed and gradually add flour, beating until smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
Bake for about 1 hour until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. If the cake starts to brown too much, cover with foil. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, remove from the pan and then finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Add one tablespoon of lemon, orange or lime zest and glaze with citrus juice mixed with confectioners sugar.
- Add one half cup toasted ground pecans
- Add one half cup mashed banana
- Add one half cup chocolate chips
- Add ½ cup blueberries and 1 T. lemon zest
- Add ¼ cup chopped candied ginger
- Add ¼ cup chopped dates
- Add ½ c. dried cherries or cranberries (great with orange zest)
- Drizzle with any kind of jelly or jam thinned with a bit of water and melted
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup
- Top with a scoop of coffee ice cream